Monday, October 9, 2017

Outrageous Mercy

‘Which of these three, do you think, proved himself a neighbour to the man who fell into the brigands‘ hands?’ ‘The one who took pity on him’ he replied. Jesus said to him, ‘Go, and do the same yourself.’
Lk.10:37

A lawyer attempting to disconcert Jesus gives opportunity for Jesus to tell one of his most beloved parables, the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Mercy and compassion are central to the Good News. Without them it is no longer good news but simply law and a law we are doomed to fail. It’s mercy and compassion that bring joy on their coat tails, joy for the giver and joy for the receiver.

The law can appear very comforting to those who administer it, appear very comforting to me. But it won’t bring me joy. Mercy can appear outrageous, pandering and weak. But it takes guts to a minister mercy. The lawyers will rise up with howls of protest. Joy will come never the less.

Today is an opportunity for me to administer mercy. “Do this”, says Jesus,”and life will be yours”.

Lord Jesus, you know my natural vocation is that of a lawyer. Judgement comes so easily to me. Heal me of this insecurity. Let me be a minister of outrageous mercy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: