Saturday, September 2, 2017

Investment

‘The kingdom of Heaven is like a man on his way abroad who summoned his servants and entrusted his property to them....
Mt.25:14

Jesus is giving his disciples instruction on what the end of time will be like when God's kingdom is finally and fully established.  In this example his parable focuses on the bringing to account what we have done with the abilities we have been given.

I play the guitar... poorly. I call myself a "hit and hope" guitarist. I hit it and hope it sounds alright. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. However, despite my mediocre playing, I use my guitar when leading Children's Liturgay at Mass. The children don't care about my skill level. They like the fun that it brings to the lesson.

I guess I have other skills that I'm more coy about, especially in adult company. Fear of performing badly can stop me using them at all.  Today's Gospel reminds me that any talents I have are not just for me. I'm expected to invest them for the benefit of God's kingdom.  The promise is that I will then share in my masters happiness on judgement day.

Jesus, thank you for the gifts that I have been given. Give me courage to invest them for a return that gives you glory.
Saint Thomas Moore, pray for me.

No comments: