Thursday, September 14, 2017

It's Personal

The Exaltation of the Holy Cross - Feast

Alleluia, alleluia! We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you, because by your cross you have redeemed the world. Alleluia!


Today's Gospel Acclamation is taken from the Good Friday liturgy for veneration of the Cross.

In my early Catholic years I found the veneration of the Cross a bit weird. Our priest was very particular about us approaching the Cross in "stockinged feet" (he was Irish) before kissing it.

Now I find this one of the most moving events of Holy Week.

What's changed?

It's become personal. I guess I've come to realise what a sublime representation of God's love for me the Cross of Christ is. I can now say God loved me so much that he gave his only son that I may not perish but have eternal life.

The Cross has become a throne on which sits Love. How can I not bend the knee before it and acclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Lord Jesus, your love for me drove you to become humbler yet and accept death, death on a Cross. I adore you and praise you for by your Cross you have redeemed the world.

Saint John of the Cross, please pray for me.

No comments: