Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Earthenware Jar

We are only the earthenware jars that hold this treasure, to make it clear that such an overwhelming power comes from God and not from us.
2Cor.4:7

Saint Paul writes to the fledgling Church of Corinth, describing how the Christian life is not to be judged on temporal appearance but on spiritual truth that comes from God.

The world and all its tinsel constantly tries to seduce me. From my receding hair line to the latest IT toy, they all call for my pampering. My abilities and gifts strain to be noticed and stroked, screeching "look at me, look at me!".

This clamour crowds out God. I am reminded I am simply an earthenware jar, any abilities are from God, all trinkets are reconstituted dust. What a relief! I don't have to constantly worry and strain about appearances. My true treasure is from heaven, freely given out of love. My true worth is revealed in the eyes of God.

There is a peace in knowing the only opinion about me that matters comes from God and that he is head-over-heals in love with me.

Thank you Jesus that I do contain treasure. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Help me see others in the same light today.
Saint James, please pray for me.





No comments: