Saturday, March 11, 2017

Taught to Love

But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven...
Mt.5:44,45

Jesus is giving his great teaching on what it is to live the Christian life authentically, his Sermon on the Mount. He unfolds the true meaning of the law of Moses, in this instance the true duty on how to love.

Loving an enemy seems an impossible ask. It can only be contemplated when looking at my persecutor through the eyes of Jesus. He sees the child that grew to become the person now acrimonious. He sees what made them become who they now are.

It was Nelson Mandela who famously said, "No child is born hating.... people learn to hate and if they learn to hate they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally".  I can be taught to love, even those who are my enemies.

Lord Jesus, you cause the sun to rise on bad men as well as good, and  rain to fall on honest and dishonest men alike.  Help me be as generous in this day you have placed me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: