Sunday, February 5, 2017

Shine

No one lights a lamp to put it under a tub; they put it on the lamp-stand where it shines for everyone in the house. In the same way your light must shine...
Mt.5:15,16

Jesus is just starting the great teaching of his Sermon on the Mount. He starts by giving the reason for his teachings, so that we may become the light of the world.

We often call Jesus "The Light of the World" but here he clearly says that we are the light of the world. The darkness is to be overcome by us. Yes, it's the light of Christ within us but we are the ones  encountering the darkness to be overcome, most often within our very selves.

As a man, this task is more clearly defined for me when Jesus instructs where my light is to shine, in my house. As the man of my household my "mission field" is clearly defined. It must start at home with my wife, my children, my grandchildren. This is both a joyful and a fearful thing. Joyful because I get to minister to those whome I love. Fearful because the consequences of failure are more painfully felt.

To fulfill this task I need the "power of the Spirit" that Saint Paul writes about in 1Cor.2:5.

Come Holy Spirit of God. Help my light shine in my world today, that the Father may be glorified.
Little Flower, please pray for me.




No comments: