Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Smiling Face

Add a smiling face to all your gifts, and be cheerful as you dedicate your tithes. Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously as your means can afford; for the Lord is a good rewarder.
Ecc.35:8-10

The writer of Ecclesiasticus emphasises the virtue of cheerful giving. The Church lifts up this virtue with its focus firmly on the approaching season of Lent.

I recently have benefited from an increase in my disposable income. One of the things I've enjoyed being able to now do is be more generous. I can now shout people a coffee and be more spontaneous in giving gifts. I haven't quite reached the "stuffing twenty dollar notes into letter boxes" level of my wife, but I'm getting there.

Alms giving in Lent has always been a struggle for me. Perhaps this Lent I can more generous "as my means can afford". More importantly, I can be cheerful in my giving.

Lord Jesus, you were generous to the point of giving everything, even your life. Help me be a cheerful giver this Lent and experience the true joy that such giving brings. 
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: