Friday, November 11, 2016

Left Behind

I tell you, on that night two will be in one bed: one will be taken, the other left;
Lk.17:34

Jesus is telling his disciples what to expect at the end of time. Some will be called, some will be left behind.

In today's climate of forced inclusivity its counter-cultural to suggest that not everyone is going to get to heaven. The more acceptable view is that there will be no final judgement, that everyone is going to be bathed in God's all-inclusive love as they receive baskets of fluffy kittens while strolling blissfully through the Pearly Gates.

What a shame Jesus doesn't agree.

In Luke's Gospel Jesus starkly describes the suddenness of the last day where, as in Noah and Lot's day, many will be destroyed.

Saint John the Apostle presents the same truth; "only those who keep to what he taught can have the Father and the Son with them" 2 Jn.1:9. Some will. Some won't. There will be, dare I say it, discrimination in the best sense of the word.

Where do I fit? I remember hearing a wise old man say, "Good people don't necessarily get to heaven, only forgiven people do". I need to keep a short account with God. It's time for confession.

Jesus, thank you for showing the way back home. Lord I again confess my brokenness and need of your saving, healing power. That I won't be left behind...

Saint John Vianney, please pray for me.



No comments: