Saturday, February 13, 2016

Come See

Jesus noticed a tax collector, Levi by name, sitting by the customs house, and said to him, ‘Follow me.’ And leaving everything he got up and followed him. In his honour Levi held a great reception in his house, and with them at table was a large gathering of tax collectors and others.
Lk.5:27-29

Jesus calls Levi from out from the very midst of his sinfulness, extortion of unjust taxes. Levi's response is immediate. He turns his back on his sin and follows Jesus. To celebrate his new life, Levi hosts a party honoring Jesus and who does he invite? His immediate friends who are engaged in the same sinful actions.

This story telling of the the call of Matthew always resonates with me. Maybe it's because my son is named after the apostle and our parish is named Saint Matthew's. But it evokes even more. I identify with Matthew the sinner and his conversion. I guess the event reminds me that Jesus specifically came for people like me and that conversion is always, always, always possible. No one is a lost cause.

Matthew's response is challenging. He called those immediately around him to come and meet the one who was the source of his new life.  I can do the same, today.

Thank you Lord for this new day in which to introduce people to you.
Little Flower please pray for me.



No comments: