Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Multiplication

‘This is a lonely place and it is getting very late, So send them away, and they can go to the farms and villages round about, to buy themselves something to eat.’ He replied, ‘Give them something to eat yourselves.’
Mk.6:35-37

Jesus steps ashore to be greeted by a large crowd. He sees the crowd as sheep with no shepherd and is moved by pity for them. After teaching them at some length, the disciples want to send the crowd away to fend for themselves. Jesus says no, the disciples are to meet their needs. The disciples puny contribution of five loaves and two fish are miraculously multiplied by Jesus to feed five thousand.

This event was big news in its time and is still big news now. Jesus' miracle needed something to work on or nothing was going to happen. Zero times one hundred is still zero. But five times one hundred leaps up to five hundred! A contribution needs to be made for Jesus to work on.

No matter how big the problem (five thousand mouths to feed) I am to make my contribution in faith, no matter how small. Jesus will then do the rest.

Lord Jesus, you invite me to be part of every day miracles by doing my bit. Help me to be an optimist, trusting that you will honor my puny efforts, that you will multiply my loaves and fishes.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: