Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Integrity and Faithfulness

Integrity is the loincloth round his waist, faithfulness the belt about his hips.
Is.11:5

Isaiah prophesies the coming of Jesus, the branch from Jesse. He is to be powerful and wise, defending the weak and passing judgement on the wicked. Integrity is his loin cloth, faithfulness his belt.

Integrity is defined as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles." I find it interesting that Jesus' loins and hips are covered in this way. The loins can be the area of the flesh that is most dishonest, immoral and unfaithful. If Jesus is the model of the perfect man, and he is, then he offers the antidote to this war of the flesh. Integrity and faithfulness, graces from him to those who follow him, graces for me today.

Lord Jesus, defend me in my weakness. I ask for the graces of integrity and faithfulness today that I may become more like you in every way.
Mary, riding on a donkey, pray for me.

No comments: