Thursday, October 15, 2015

No Room for Boasting

So what becomes of our boasts? There is no room for them. What sort of law excludes them? The sort of law that tells us what to do? On the contrary, it is the law of faith, since, as we see it, a man is justified by faith and not by doing something the Law tells him to do.
Rms.3:27,28

The writer of Romans explains that no one is righteous, that is accepted as morally right and sinless,  in his own strength and can boast.  That righteousness is only obtainable to anyone who simply has faith in Jesus.

Boasting.  A funny word defined as "talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities".  We would all say we never engage in this tasteless act. But when I'm honest with myself, I see a boasting self-sufficiency that is never far below the surface.

What's the antidote to boasting?  A simple faith in who Jesus is and what he has done for me.  Every time I genuflect at church I acknowledge that Jesus is God, not me. Perhaps I need to genuflect today....

Lord Jesus, you alone are the Son of God. I place my faith in you today.
Saint Teresa of Avila, please pray for me.



No comments: