Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Sound of a Man Forgiving

No one therefore was present with him while Joseph made himself known to his brothers, but he wept so loudly that all the Egyptians heard, and the news reached Pharaoh’s palace.
Gen.45:1,2

Joseph has had planted in the grain sack of his brothers a sliver cup. The brothers beg for mercy for the sake of their father Jacob. Joseph forgives the brothers everything, including their injustice to him, but not without loud tears.

Joseph wept so loudly, the Bible records, that the whole palace heard him. I imagine the remarks in the palace; "What is that sound?" "Oh, that is the sound of a man forgiving".

Authentic forgiveness is painful. It means giving up my rights for revenge. It means cancelling an unpayable debt. It means dieing to my flesh to be born alive in the spirit. Like all births, it involves pain and screaming and groaning.

Forgiveness gives new life. Joseph's forgiveness gave new life and blessing to the Hebrews who then came under Pharaoh's protection. It allowed God's plan for the redemption of creation through Jesus to regain traction and move forward.  Oh, forgiveness is painful but it is essential for God's life to flow in me.

Lord Jesus, you forgave your persecutors from the very cross. Help me always forgive that you may live in me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: