Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Resurrection and the Life

‘I am the resurrection and the life. If anyone believes in me, even though he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ she said ‘I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world.’
Jn.11:25-27


Jesus has come to the place where Lazarus is buried and is met by a grieving Martha. She remonstrates with Jesus over his late arrival but still places her hope in him. In so doing, she identifies who Jesus really is, Christ, the Son of God. As a son, Jesus then glorifies the Father through the resurrection of Lazarus.

I had a knock on the door yesterday from an old neighbour whose husband has just died. She wanted me to know his funeral is today. I shared with her my belief that her husband's death was not the end of his story. "Oh yes" she said. "I know we are going to meet up again".  She had such a smile on her face it was hard to accept she was a new widow.

Faith in the resurrection does that. I will rejoice for John at his funeral today.

Lord Jesus, let your great mercy triumph over justice for John. May he be speedily be welcomed into your arms.
Saint John the Apostle, pray for us.

No comments: