Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Mirror

‘Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them. I tell you solemnly, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, shall disappear from the Law until its purpose is achieved.
Mt.5:17,18

Jesus continues his great Sermon on the Mount.  He states plainly his teaching is not eliminating the existing Law of Moses or prophetic revelation, it is fulfilling them.

There is a temptation to minimise the Old Testament simply because it is "old".  But Jesus doesn't recommend this. He says to look to the Law and the Prophets as pointing to him, as portraying him the perfect man.

I see the Old Testament as a mirror in which the image of God can be seen.  When I try to meet the law and become the image of God, I fail. The law is impossible for me to perfectly keep and so it shows that I am worthy only of death. But when I look into the mirror and see it pointing to Jesus who fulfills the law perfectly, then I see the image of God.

Give me that mirror. The more I see of Jesus, the more I know him.  The more I know him, the more I love him. The more I love him the more peace and joy are mine... today.

Thank you Jesus for revealing yourself in scripture as you did with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. Reveal yourself to me today as I read sacred scripture.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: