Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Give Back to God

‘Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar – and to God what belongs to God.’ 
 Mk.12:17

The Pharisees have tried to trap Jesus with a question on taxes paid to the hated Romans. Jesus sees their obvious plot but answers them none the less. In his answer Jesus shows we have a duty in all things but over arching all is our duty to God.

We live in a fallen world.  Tax money we pay gets spent on things we don't always agree with (e.g. publicly funded abortions).  The Romans used their wealth to increase their power as cruel foreign occupiers of Palestine. Yet, Jesus said to pay them their due. However, this is always countered with our due to God.

What of mine belongs to God today?  Everything, even the very beat of my heart, my life.  There will be opportunities that come before me today where  I can give back to God what belongs to God.

Holy Spirit of God, help me see the times today where I can give back to you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: