Wednesday, May 27, 2015

To Be Like Jesus

'Anyone who wants to become great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be slave to all. For the Son of Man himself did not come to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’
Mk.1043-45

James and John have just asked for positions of honor in what they perceive to be the coming Kingdom of God. The other disciples are indignant at James and John. To clarify things, Jesus explains what true greatness is.  To be a servant.

The term "servant-hood" in today's language infers something inferior, something demeaning.  In the christian world however, servant-hood denotes greatness.  When I serve others I am the closest to being like Jesus that I can ever be.  "For the Son of Man himself did not come to be served but to serve," Mk.10:45.

There will be people I meet today that I can be Jesus to.  How? By serving them with a cheerful heart.

Lord Jesus, you have served me to the point of giving your life. Help me have a servant's heart that I may be more like you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: