Friday, May 29, 2015

Forgive

And when you stand in prayer, forgive whatever you have against anybody, so that your Father in heaven may forgive your failings too.’ But if you do not forgive, your Father in heaven will not forgive your failings either.’
Mk.11:25,26

Jesus and his disciples are just leaving Jerusalem after having driven the money-changers out of the Temple. They pass by the withered fig tree that Jesus had earlier cursed and the disciples point this out to him. This prompts Jesus to teach on how to pray with faith. The first thing a faithful prayer does is forgive.

Jesus has just carried out what could be termed unforgiving acts. He drove the money-changers from the Temple and cursed an unproductive fig tree. This tells me there is a time for righteous anger. The trick is to make sure the anger is righteous and not selfish.

I think this is where forgiveness comes in. Jesus raised the necessity of forgiveness while the clamor of over-turned temple tables was still in their ears.  It seems an attitude of forgiveness to everyone and all tempers my anger, purifying it so that any anger that is left is not mine but God's. It is righteous.

Of course, the inverse is true. My non-forgiveness falls on my own head, denying myself forgiveness from God for my own failings. What a terrible thought.

Lord Jesus, source of all mercy and forgiveness. Help me have a forgiving heart that I may be forgiven my many failings.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: