Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Less Becomes More

Anyone who wants to be great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave, just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Mt.20:26-28

Jesus has just been approached by the mother of James and John who requested her sons be given places of honor in the new kingdom. Salome presents a typical misconception of the Kingdom of God being structured in a human way, powerful at the top, weak at the bottom. Jesus turns the pyramid upside down with the great at the bottom serving the weak at the top.

The social structure of God's kingdom is counter-cultural to the world's way of thinking. If I am genuine when I pray "Thy kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven", then I am praying for this upside down pyramid to be evident today, starting with me. Only then can I be great in God's eyes.

Lord Jesus, I find it hard putting others needs before my own, hard being a servant. Help me become less so that others will become more, starting with my own family.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: