Thursday, March 5, 2015

Heart and Loins

‘The heart is more devious than any other thing, perverse too: who can pierce its secrets? I, the Lord, search to the heart, I probe the loins, to give each man what his conduct and his actions deserve.’
Jer.17:9,10

Jeremiah is prophesying about the day of judgement. The Lord will see all things that a man has done and then pass his judgement.

Heart and loins. What are more hidden then these? Yet even these will not escape the searching of God's judgement. The heart and the loins are the source of great evil or wonderful purity and righteousness. A sobering thought.

I turn to God's promises such as that found in Psalm 130.3,4:

If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
    so that we can, with reverence, serve you.


Lent is a time to acknowledge my sinfulness and fall on God's mercy. Praise God for the Mercy Seat found in the confessional.

Lord Jesus, look not on my sins but on my faithfulness. Let your mercy triumph over judgement. I place my hope in you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: