Thursday, November 27, 2014

Stand up an Lift Your Head

And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these signs begin to happen, stand erect and raise your heads because your redemption is at hand."
Lk.21:28

Jesus knows that his betrayal is about to happen and his time of ministry is nearing its end. He turns his focus to the eternal, prophesying the destruction of the temple and then the end of time. But in this catastrophic calamity he says to do a strange thing, stand up and lift your head. Why? Because our redemption draws near.

Troubles happen in this life. It comes with having a beating heart and drawing breath. I can't avoid it. How I react to troubles is something I do have control over. Jesus' advice in today's Gospel is directly related to the end of time, sure, but I can see an application to everyday trouble as well.

Having an eternal perspective helps put troubles in right perspective.  That puncture in my bike tyre making me late for work is actually not the end of the world. In two weeks time I'll hardly recall it. Dealing with these "dust of daily battle" situations in this way gives me a more positive outlook on life.

Meanwhile, when the end of time does come, and it will, I will be better prepared to stand up and lift my head.

Lord Jesus, help me develop an eternal perspective by keeping you firmly in my view today, no matter what may happen.
Little Flower please pray for me.

No comments: