Monday, September 1, 2014

The Spirit of the Lord has been given Me

The spirit of the Lord has been given to me,
for he has anointed me.
He has sent me to bring the good news to the poor,
to proclaim liberty to captives
and to the blind new sight,
to set the downtrodden free,
to proclaim the Lord’s year of favour.
Lk.4:18,19


Jesus enters the synagogue of his boyhood town and is given the scroll from which to read scripture,  He chooses  Isaiah 61, "The spirit of the Lord has been given to me...". The elders are both astounded at his wisdom and then incredulous of his claims.

In today's Gospel Jesus sets the mission statement for his ministry, and for mine. The spirit of the Lord has been given to me. I have been anointed in baptism. Why?  To bring Good News, to set free, to give new (in)sight, to show mercy and to proclaim.

This will make some people amazed and others incredulous at my claims. Well, I'm in good company then aren't I?  Jesus suffered no less and he is my role model... today.

Lord Jesus, marching to your drum makes me out-of-sync with the march of the world. I get afraid that I may be thrown off a cliff. Assure me of your companionship, that you are marching right along beside me today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: