Friday, August 8, 2014

Joy

So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall praise you with joy.
Ps.63:4,5

Today is the Feast day of Saint Mary Macmillan. The Church has chosen Psalm 63 as the response, a Psalm focusing on joy.

Saint Mary Mackillop often didn't live in very joyful circumstances, experiencing physical hardship as well as the pain of excommunication. Yet joy is her hallmark.

I like being around joyful people. I suspect I would have enjoyed Mary Mackillop's company. I find joyful people are the most effective witness to the Gospel. As our pope has said, if we have the joy of the Lord then we need to tell our faces about it.

Let joy be my hallmark today.

Lord Jesus fill me with the joy that comes from knowing you.
Saint Mary Mackillop, please pray for me.

No comments: