Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Things of the Heart

Away with your noisy songs! I will not listen to the melodies of your harps. But if you would offer me holocausts, 
then let justice surge like water, and goodness like an unfailing stream. 
Amos 5: 23,24

Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.
The prophet Amos is highlighting the hypocrisy of loud, showy worship. Things of the heart such as justice and goodness are what pleases God.

It's always tempting to end up pleasing the crowd rather than pleasing God. The call of the flesh is powerful. But, in my experience, there's no peace or joy in it. But good things done in private, where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, are true worship to God. And consequently, that is where joy and peace are found.

Lord Jesus, help me grow in things of the heart, that I may always please you.
Little flower, perfecter of things of the heart, please pray for me.

No comments: