Friday, July 18, 2014

The Greater

I say to you, something greater than the temple is here. If you knew what this meant, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned these innocent men. For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath."
Mt. 12:6_8

The Pharisees have accused Jesus' disciples of breaking the law by them picking grain to assuage their hunger on the Sabbath. Jesus defends his followers by saying something bigger than the law makes their action innocent.

I'm so glad there is something bigger than the law. Last Sunday I received a work call out to resolve a problem on a marine distress radio channel in  the Bay of Plenty. A safety of life service was at risk while this problem remained unresolved.  Of course, I responded to the call.

Now, I'm a firm believer in Sunday being a day of rest. But there are times when a greater law comes into effect and last Sunday was such a time. Jesus says he desires mercy not sacrifice.

The law can be very seductive. I need to check my motivation. If mercy and love aren't the drivers then it's time for me to look for the higher law.

Thank you Jesus that you are the Lord over all the law. Help me always keep my eyes on you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: