Friday, April 18, 2014

This Death that Kills Death.

An eyewitness has testified, and his testimony is true;
he knows that he is speaking the truth,
so that you also may come to believe.
Jn. 19:35

John is narrating every painful detail of Jesus' torturous death. why? So We may come to believe.

People who figure these things out have calculated that, on average, 40% of the gospels focus on the last week of Jesus' life. In John the percentage is even higher. Why is so much attention and detail given to the betrayal, the humiliation, the torture, essentially what appears to be a catastrophic failure of Jesus' ministry?

Firstly, it convinces me of  the authenticity of the gospels. No human religion Would place SO much emphasis on so great a failure.

Secondly, it tells me Jesus' passion and death is important. It's what it's all about. Without Jesus' death my sins are left with me. Without the resurrection I have no hope of heaven being my home.

As Saint Augustine said, "What is this death that kills death?"
A question for me to ponder today.

Thank you Jesus for dieing that I may live.
Saint John the witness please pray for me.




No comments: