Friday, April 25, 2014

Small is Great

for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled,
and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.
Luke 18:14

Jesus has just told the parable of the proud Pharisee and the humble tax collector to a group described as "convinced of their own righteousness".  The boast of the Pharisee is ignored while the heart wrenching confession of the tax collector is heard by God.

I've recently heard a priest say that all sin, all sin, can be traced back to pride. Going by my own experience, I would agree. It seems pride distances me from God while humility draws me nearer to Him.  The same priest commented that it must be hard for gifted people as the greater the gift, the greater the temptation to think its all my doing. 

Humility is a wonderful virtue for me to focus on today.  In truth I am the least.

Jesus, you know how easily pride takes hold of me. Help me be humble to all men that I may appear great to you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: