Monday, January 6, 2014

Keep on Looking at Jesus

From that moment Jesus began his preaching with the message, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is close at hand.’
Mt.4:17

Jesus has just left the desert where He wrestled with Satan and is now starting His public ministry.  Even before He has called His twelve disciples His ministry is drawing huge crowds.  His message is very simple, turn from sin and welcome God's Kingdom.

I recently watched with my daughter the movie version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.  It struck me again how C S Lewis brilliantly wove the story of Christ into the Narnian Chronicles.  There is a moving scene where Edmund faces Aslan for the first time and confesses his betrayal of his brother and sisters to the White Witch.  Edmund becomes a changed boy.  Aslan says to the others they are not mention Edmund's past, that it has been dealt with.

Oh the power of repentance!   Even the accusations of the Witch have no further effect on Edmund:

“You have a traitor there, Aslan," said the Witch. Of course everyone present knew that she meant Edmund. But Edmund had got past thinking about himself after all he'd been through and after the talk he'd had that morning. He just went on looking at Aslan. It didn't seem to matter what the Witch said.” 

After Confession, whenever Satan tries to re-accuse me, like Edmund I just need to keep my eyes fixed on the one who has taken my guilt away and reinstated my son-ship.

Jesus, thank you that You have taken the stain of my sins on yourself, that You have set me free.  I place my trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: