Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Better Part

The Lord answered: ‘Martha, Martha,’ he said ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’
Lk.10:41,42

Jesus arrives at the home of the two sisters Mary and Martha.  They each respond differently to Jesus' presence.  Martha becomes a servant, Mary becomes a worshiper.  Martha is not at peace in her role and is resentful of Mary, complaining about her to Jesus. Jesus gently rebukes the agitated striving in Martha and uses Mary's example as an antidote to that stress.

We need both Marthas and Marys in the world.  Things need to get done or chaos would abound.  Worship needs to be given or God would remain unacknowledged and hidden.  It's just a matter of timing and priority.  Jesus holds worship as the greater activity, I guess because it is the thing most in danger of being left out through my business.

I need to make space for worship before the business of my day crowds it out.  As DC Talk sing their song DAY BY DAY [Jesus Freak];

I live a simple life, I take a day at a time.
I spend my mornings with God before I hit the grind.
The subtleties of darkness never cease to amaze
as the physical world creates a spiritual haze.

Lord Jesus, thank you for always being there when I make the time to worship.  Help me make space for the "better part" of my day.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: