Thursday, September 5, 2013

Beginnings

When Simon Peter saw this he fell at the knees of Jesus saying, ‘Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man... 
But Jesus said to Simon, ‘Do not be afraid; from now on it is men you will catch.’ Then, bringing their boats back to land, they left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:8-11

Jesus has just finished teaching the crowds from Peter's boat.  Almost as a way of saying thank you, Jesus tells Peter to throw his nets over the side for a catch.  Reluctantly, Peter does so and then is overwhelmed by the biggest catch of his life. Peter is confronted with the reality that Jesus is someone different, someone from God.  His response is to fall to his knees and repent and then leave everything and follow Him.

I remember the time when I finally recognised Jesus for who He really is.  It involved tears of sorrow mixed with tears of joy as my world was turned upside down, or should I say right way up.  I experienced my abject poverty and incredible worth simultaneously.  I guess I was going through what Peter is shown going through in today's Gospel.  Peter stammered "Leave me Lord" then got up off his knees and followed Jesus for the rest of his life.

It's good for me to recall this turning point in my life.  It refreshes my love for Him who loves me.  It encourages me to keep on stumbling along and follow Him.

Jesus, thank you for loving me.  Help me as I stumble along behind You.  You are the beggars friend.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: