Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hear and Do

He was told, ‘Your mother and brothers are standing outside and want to see you’ But he said in answer, ‘My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and put it into practice.’
Luke 8:20-21


Jesus is attracting huge crowds.  He is a healer to some, a curiosity and freak-show to others.  His family, in their concern, come to take Him home.  In a sense, Jesus rebuffs them with His response, but expands the meaning of "Family of God' by including all who genuinely follow Him by acting on His word.

"Hear and do".  This is a simple but life changing command.  First I have to hear.  Morning prayer, Mass, the sacraments are all places I have heard God.  A men's retreat is coming up for me, another place where I can hear the word of God.  Then comes the scary part, the doing...

Lord Jesus, sometimes I find it scary to do what I hear from You.  Give me courage to trust in Your love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: