Saturday, July 13, 2013

Give up My Rights

But Joseph answered them, ‘Do not be afraid; is it for me to put myself in God’s place? The evil you planned to do me has by God’s design been turned to good".
Gen.50:19,20

Jacob has died and his sons realise they are no longer under his protection.  The evil of their plot against Joseph decades earlier floods back to condemn them and they are afraid. But Joseph assures them of his forgiveness and protection so God's covenant with Abraham could be fulfilled.

Joseph had every right under law, and certainly the power, to annihilate his brothers. If Joseph had reacted in the flesh, God's plan of salvation through the descendants of Abraham would have come to an end.  No Jewish nation, no Jesus. The evil the brothers started would have been fulfilled.  But in his brother's jealousy and treachery he managed to see God's hand.  Forgiveness didn't come easily, many tears had to be shed, but Joseph finally gave up his rights allowing the "evil to be turned into good".

I get absorbed in the evil, whether it's sickness or injustice or greed or selfishness.  Joseph's story reminds me that God never abandons me, even in the tough times.  The evil can be turned into good.

Jesus, You are with me always.  Every hair on my head has been counted by You.  Help me to give up on my rights as You gave on Yours when you climbed onto the cross.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: