Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Love


My dear people, let us love one another since love comes from God and everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.
1Jn.4:7


John's letter is to early churches under threat of disintegration due to heresies being advanced within their communities.  He summarises his own religious experience, always coming back to the great gospel message; love one another as we have been loved.

The great hallmark of Jesus is His demonstrative love.  It follows that as a follower of Jesus this is also to be my trademark.  Do people look at me and say, "There is a great lover"?

Love is great in theory but hard in practice.  As I heard recently, “Love in dreams is easy. Love in reality is a harsh and terrible thing”. Of my own strength I will never be a great lover.  As love comes from God I need His help to be motivated by it.  Meditating on the love Jesus has shown to me is great place to start...

Lord Jesus, You have shown Your love for me on the cross.  This frightens me.  Help me overcome my fear and become a great lover in a world hungry for love.
Saint John, please pray for me.


No comments: