Saturday, January 12, 2013

Less Space for Me


‘The bride is only for the bridegroom; and yet the bridegroom’s friend, who stands there and listens, is glad when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. This same joy I feel, and now it is complete. He must grow greater, I must grow smaller.’
Jn.3:29,30


John the Baptist is approached by his followers to query the authority of Jesus to baptise.  John emphatically promotes Jesus by saying Jesus must increase in His ministry while John's own ministry must decrease.

John has poured his whole life into his ministry and now he lets it all go.  He expresses joy while his own disciples leave to go and follow Jesus.  This is the man of whom Jesus Said, "No greater man has been born of a woman..." Mt.11:11, yet he shrinks his own stature.  The hallmark of John's greatness is his meekness and humility.

This is an area of struggle for me.  There is within me a trumpeting braggart who desires nothing but aggrandisement. The antidote?  More of Jesus, less of me...

Lord Jesus, Your measure of greatness is shown in John the Baptist, the greatest of all men who was the most humble.  Help me fill myself with You so there is less space for me.
Saint John the Baptist, please pray for me.

No comments: