Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Less is More


So John said, ‘I am, as Isaiah prophesied: a voice that cries in the wilderness: Make a straight way for the Lord.’
Jn.1:23


Priests are sent to interrogate John the Baptist to try and identify his credentials.  They are more concerned about him being a threat than they are about what it is he is saying.  John allays their fears by denying he is the the Messiah or Elijah or the Prophet.  He tells them he is simply a voice.

Here was a prime opportunity for John the Baptist to advance his career. The attention of the the powerful was on him.  But instead of promoting himself, John made himself smaller.  "I am not fit to undo his sandal-strap" Jn.1:27.  John, who Jesus named as the greatest of all men born of a woman, displayed his strength through his humility.

If I am honest, I would have to admit I most likely would not have responded as John did.  There is within me a desire to be held up before men.  To become lesser so that someone else can become greater is not a natural characteristic within me.  Perhaps it needs to be...

Jesus, You are the great role model of infinite power held in check through humbleness   Give me the strength of character to embrace Your virtue of humility.
Saint John the Baptist, please pray for me.

No comments: