Thursday, November 8, 2012

Get Found

The tax collectors and the sinners were all seeking the company of Jesus to hear what he had to say, and the Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’ they said ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
Luke 15:1,2

The reputation of Jesus has been established.  The crowds know Him as one with a heart and a message for them and flock towards Him to receive this love.  The Pharisees know the same thing but are critical and are repelled.

The difference between the crowds and the Pharisees is not that one are sinners and the other virtuous.  No, both groups are sinners, but only one acknowledges the fact.  The parable of the lost sheep offended the Pharisees as they identified with the ninety-nine who were abandoned.  The people loved the parable as they identified with the lost sheep who was found.  In truth, both the Pharisees and the people, and I, are the lost sheep.  There is no one not in need of repentance and saving.

There's a joy that comes when I climb off my pharisaical high-horse and acknowledge my sinfulness.  It's only when I acknowledge my lostness that I can be found, carried on the shoulders of my Lord.  Perhaps it's time for confession...

No comments: