Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Passing Away

Those who have to deal with the world should not become engrossed in it. I say this because the world as we know it is passing away.
1Cor.7:31


Saint Paul is encouraging the Corinthian Church to reduce the effect of the world on their spiritual lives.  Marriage, mourning, even joy can be a distraction of the temporal from the spiritual.  The world as we know it is passing away to be replaced by the real world, the kingdom of God.

Nothing has changed in two thousand years.  There is still a tension between the flesh and the spirit.  The advantage we Christians have is that we know there is a tension and so we can resist it.  I can't fight this battle alone.  I need the support of the Church.  Maybe Mass today would be a good idea...

Lord Jesus, You know the battles that rage within me.  Give me strength I pray to let go of the world's seductions and be given over to You.
Saint Paul, please pray for me.


No comments: