Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Speak Love

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.
Mt.23:27


Jesus continues His great lament against the leaders of the Jewish people. His strongest rebuke is against the Scribes and Pharisee's hypocrisy which they use to elevate themselves and burden others.

Matthew Chapter 23 has Jesus using the strongest language, so full of rage that I have to remind myself it is the God of Love speaking them. And yet, that is the case.  The God of Love is speaking them. Sometimes love has to use strong language to be heard.

I have a thirteen year old daughter whom I love dearly. I think I would actually step in front of a speeding train to save her.  However, recently I've had to use strong language to be heard by her.  The message she was resisting?  "Get out of bed on time".  Six simple words but the cause of so much morning stress.  She has heard me now and we've come up with a plan.  It must be working this morning as she's just come in to ask me for some money. Ha!

Strong language.  There is a time for it to be used judiciously, in my case with the restraining assistance of my wife as I'm not Jesus, the God of Love.  However, I can be Love's emissary.

Lord Jesus, even in anger You spoke in love.  Give me control over my tongue that I may only speak love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: