Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sincere Compassion

Saint Mary of the Cross (Mary MacKillop)

You are God’s chosen race, his saints; he loves you, and you should be clothed in sincere compassion, in kindness and humility, gentleness and patience.
Col.3:12


Saint Paul calls the Colossians to an authentic Christian life where the other is always more important.  Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience all firmly place other ahead of self.
Today is the Feast of Saint Mary of the Cross, the great antipodean saint. Mary Mackillop embodied the virtues listed in Saint Paul's letter by serving the poor of Australia and New Zealand.

The "virtues of other" are counter-cultural in a world that encourages me to place my wants ahead of others needs.  It's a battle I sometimes win, sometimes loose.

Lord Jesus, help me be sincere in my compassion for others.  Less of me Lord and more of You.
Saint Mary of the Cross, please pray for me.

No comments: