Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lord! Save me!

‘Come’ said Jesus. Then Peter got out of the boat and started walking towards Jesus across the water, but as soon as he felt the force of the wind, he took fright and began to sink. ‘Lord! Save me!’ he cried. Jesus put out his hand at once and held him. ‘Man of little faith,’ he said ‘why did you doubt?
Mt.14:29-31


The disciples are battling a storm out on the lake and they're loosing the battle.  Jesus walks on the water towards them and Peter is the only one brave enough to respond to Jesus' call to "come".  But even Peter's faith flies from him in the face of the storm and he starts to sink.  The world's most powerful three-word prayer is then heard for the first time; "Lord! Save me!".  Instantly Jesus does just that, lifting Peter up out of the water.

This story of storm, fear, faith and salvation could be a synopsis of my life.  Life-storms can frighten me, taking my attention off Jesus and onto the perceived threat.  But that great prayer of Peter's, "Lord! Save me!" eventually comes to me and the storm looses its' power.  The antidote for life-storms? Jesus...

Thank you Jesus that you simply wait for me to cry out to You.  In Your faithfulness You always lean down and lift me up.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: