Monday, July 16, 2012

Rock the Boat

Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword.
Mt.10:34


Jesus is instructing His twelve disciples and plainly lays before them the cost of discipleship.  It will cost family relationships, personal comfort, even their very lives.   But Jesus hints at an eternal reward; “anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it”.

I read a quote from C.S. Lewis the other day along the lines; “...if you are looking for a comfortable religon, I don't recommend Christianity”.  Following Jesus isn’t for wimps.   By definition, Christianity is counter-cultural.  Our message is different from the message of the world.  Persecution should be my bedfellow.  If it’s not, maybe I’ve lost some of my discipleship zeal.

Lord Jesus, You know my reluctance to “rock the boat”, even for you Lord.  Help me regain my zeal for You that I may be an effective disciple.
Saint Thomas Moore, brave boat-rocker, please pray for me.

No comments: