Saturday, July 7, 2012

New Wineskin


Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; if they do, the skins burst, the wine runs out, and the skins are lost. No; they put new wine into fresh skins and both are preserved.’
Mt.9:17

John's disciples see something new in Jesus and His ministry and and start asking why.  Part of Jesus' reply is to do with timing (...the time will come) and part is to do with content (...new cloth ...new wine).  Everything about Jesus is new.  This newness needs a fresh perspective, a new approach... a new wine-skin.

Today is my fifty-eighth birthday. Sometimes I find myself treating my faith a bit like a comfortable old jersey.  It fits, it's snug, it's familiar, it has no surprises.  This happens when my prayer-life is slack and my relationship with Jesus has drifted.  The flame of my first-love has dwindled and I'm in cruise mode.

It's time to throw away the old jersey and put on the new cloak ready for the new cloth.  It's time to get out the new wine-skin with an expectancy that new wine is about to flow ...today!

Lord Jesus, You are new every morning.  Rekindle in me the fire of my first love with You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: