Friday, July 27, 2012

Mourning into Dancing

I will turn their mourning into joy,
I will console them, give gladness for grief.
Jeremiah 31:13

The prophet Jeremiah writes his beautiful Book of Consolation, giving a promise of recovery for the kingdom of Israel.  This contains the well known promise of God to people of all ages; "I will turn their mourning into dancing"

A close family friend is watching his father slowly die, both in mind and in body and it is tearing him apart.  Mourning has always been part of our human condition in this fallen world and always will be... until!

It's the great "until" that can give hope to my friend, give hope to me.  Yes, we will suffer and grieve as our loved ones suffer and grieve, until that great and glorious day when Jesus will return.  As Saint Paul writes,  "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Rms.8:18.

I must present this hope to my friend, not as a mere platitude but as the truth revealed by Jesus and His Church.

Lord Jesus, You are the first of many to raise again in glory.  Help me be an authentic messenger of Your hope and joy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: