Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hope for Numbskulls

When the other ten heard this they were indignant with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to him and said, ‘You know that among the pagans the rulers lord it over them, and their great men make their authority felt. This is not to happen among you.
Mt.20:24-26


Jesus is approaching Jerusalem for the last time and has just warned His disciples of His coming passion, death and resurrection. Still not comprehending what this means, the disciples, goaded by the mother of James and John, squabble about who is to hold positions of power in the new kingdom.

The humanness of the disciples is both head-shakingly sad and inspiringly hopeful.   These three-year companions of Jesus still don't get it, even after Jesus plainly explains what is about to happen.   However, these numbskulls are soon to be transformed into saints and there lies my hope. 

You see, I am a numbskull as well.  I vacillate between holiness and sinfulness, wisdom and stupidness.  But, just as Jesus never gave up on His numbskull disciples, my hope is that He doesn't give up on me.  What a great hope to carry into this day.

Thank you Jesus for not giving up on me.  Please walk beside me today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: