Monday, March 26, 2012

Hail Mary

‘I am the handmaid of the Lord,’ said Mary ‘let what you have said be done to me.’
Lk.1:38

The Annunciation of the Lord

The Angel Gabriel has just announced to a young Jewish girl that she is to conceive a child placed in her womb from God.  In response to this startling news Mary simply says, "I am God's slave, I'll go with whatever He plans".  Such courage.

The yes to motherhood is a courageous thing.  I have recently been focussed on mothers in my life.  My own mum who has recently battled with the news that she had a melanoma; my daughter being swept away with love for her own first-born; my wife's superlative mothering of our five diverse children.  Their "yes" to motherhood has drawn out deeper character in each of them, much to their surprise I would guess.

Mary's yes was a yes for me.  Her Son has become my Lord and my Saviour.  If Mary had said no I hate to think what the consequences would have been in my life. But she said yes, and Jesus was brought to me. I have so much to be thankful to Mary for. I carry this gratitude with me into my day today.

Hail Mary, full of grace.  The Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women
and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

No comments: