Monday, February 20, 2012

Help for Little Faith

‘If you can?’ retorted Jesus. ‘Everything is possible for anyone who has faith.’ Immediately the father of the boy cried out, ‘I do have faith. Help the little faith I have!’
Mk.9:23,24


Jesus has just returned from the mountain where He was transfigured.  He finds a large crowd arguing with the disciples.  At the center is a father with a possessed son whom the disciples were unable to help.  Jesus probes the father with questions; questions that reveal his love for his son and faith in God.  This is enough for Jesus to act and the boy is delivered of the demon. 

"Yes Lord I believe.  Help me in my unbelief!".  This cry of the father to Jesus is a favorite prayer of mine.  I think it describes the human condition.  My faith waxes and wanes depending on how I'm distracted by the world.   The Good News is that Jesus never waxes and wanes.  The little faith that I do have is enough for Him to act; to deliver me of my demons.

Lord Jesus, You know the demons I struggle with.  Lord, I believe.  Help me in my unbelief!.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: