Saturday, February 4, 2012

Alone for Rest

Then he (Jesus) said to them, ‘You must come away to some lonely place all by yourselves and rest for a while’.
Mk.6:31

The twelve apostles have returned from their first mission trip and are now reporting to Jesus on all they have done.  Mark records this work as preaching, casting out demons and healing the sick.  They had worked hard and Jesus determined that they needed rest, the sort of rest that can only be obtained in a lonely place.

Jesus is the master of relationships, yet He is saying that at times it is good to be alone. He often went out into the hills alone to pray. It is in this lonely place that I can be refreshed, be revitalised, can reconnect with God. In a busy household where there are always things to do, people to relate with, being alone can be a difficult thing to do.  Identifying a "prime-time" for loneliness can help.  For me this is mornings.  God wired me to be a "morning person" while most of my household aren't.   I can spend my mornings alone with God before the dust of daily battle engulfs me.

Thank you Lord for being faithfully present to me in the morning.  I recommit myself to this time alone with You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: