Thursday, January 19, 2012

Jealousy

‘They have given David the tens of thousands,’ he said ‘but me only the thousands; he has all but the kingship now.’ And Saul turned a jealous eye on David from that day forward.
1Sam.18:8


The victorious Israel army returns with women singing the praises of Saul and of David.  Saul hears the superior praise for David and allows jealousy to enter his heart.  Saul's greatest public victory sows the seeds for his greatest personal defeat.

I have heard a priest say that he rarely hears confession for the sin of jealousy and yet it would be one of the most common of vices.  It is one of the most subtle yet deadly of sins and I am just as vulnerable to it as anyone.  I think the antidote to jealousy is gratefulness.  When I am genuinely thankful it is hard to be jealous.  An attitude of gratefulness is a virtue I can cultivate, starting from today.

Lord Jesus, help me stop comparing with others.  Whenever I do it always distances me from them.  Give me a spirit of gratitude to protect me from the sin of jealousy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: