Saturday, December 10, 2011

Missing God

"I tell you that Elijah has come already and they did not recognise him but treated him as they pleased; and the Son of Man will suffer similarly at their hands.’"The disciples understood then that he had been speaking of John the Baptist.
Mt.17:12,13


Jesus is answering the disciples question as to why Elijah must return before the end of time.  He affirms the role that John the Baptist has already fulfilled and prophesy's His own rejection by the Jewish leaders.

The Jewish elders were straining to be ready for the coming of the Messiah.  They missed not only Elijah in John the Baptist but also Jesus as Messiah. Why?  Because the New Testament was proclaimed in a new way.  Jesus was not the king of servants as expected but the Servant King.

Do I miss God?  Sometimes I suspect I do.  Jesus very clearly says he is with the poor, the oppressed, the down-trodden, the people at the bottom of the heap.  These are the very people that I find it difficult to relate to, the very people I sometimes avoid.  Today I will look for the hidden Jesus in others, especially the outcasts.

Lord Jesus, I long to see and serve You.  Help me recognise You in those I meet today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: