Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Humble Confession

‘I tell you solemnly, tax collectors and prostitutes are making their way into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you, a pattern of true righteousness, but you did not believe him, and yet the tax collectors and prostitutes did.'
Mt.21:31,32


Jesus is speaking to the chief priests and elders and has just told the parable of the two sons.  One says he will obey his father but doesn't.  The other says he won't do as his father asks but thinks better of it and does.  The obvious inference is that it is actions that count, not perceived status.  The primary action required in response to Jesus' call is to turn from sin and turn to God.  Anyone can do that.  All that is needed is humility.

This is such good news for me.  Jesus' championing of tax collectors and prostitutes means He is a champion for me.  My sins don't bar me from the Kingdom of God.  My pride and stubbornness could.  The humility of an authentic confession prepares the way.  Advent Confession is available this week.  I need to go and prepare the way...

Lord Jesus, You are my champion.  I turn from my pride and lust and turn to You, my love and my joy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: